Losing Hope (Hopeless, #2) : Book Review


Losing Hope (Hopeless, #2) By Colleen Hoover

‘Losing hope’ is a continuation of Hopeless Series. Where ‘Hopeless’ is written from the point of view of Sky, Losing Hope is written from the point of view of Dean Holder. This series as mentioned in my review of ‘Hopeless’ is much more than a love story.

Here’s the link to the review of Hopeless:

‘Losing Hope’ lay opens the emotional turmoil your loved ones go through when you commit suicide. It’s not only you who dies but the part within your loved ones die along with you. Your loved ones blame themselves, consider themselves as a failure as they couldn’t recognize what you were going through. Your parents, your siblings, your close friends never remain the same as they were. Something break within them which can’t be mended, which can’t be healed. They remain in the denial state for whatever happened. But after reading ‘Losing Hope’, I changed my perception that it’s not always the person who commits suicide is the weaker one. It’s not always that to hide one’s mistakes and failure to face the society makes the person commits suicide.

The essence of Colleen is retained in this book also. At one moment you will all be lost in love and then in another moment you will be all anguished while another one makes you upset, I believe that’s what the good writing is about.

‘Honest. That’s all I ever be.’ this statement still has the same effect on me as it had when I read it in ‘Hopeless’. Honesty is what I believe is the base of any healthy relationship and this had been the base of Hope and Holder’s relationship, that’s why in spite of so many ups and downs they stayed together.

Plot of the Story:

Though, storyline, lead characters all remain the same as in ‘Hopeless’ (Please go through the ‘Hopeless’ review to get a jest of story.) ,still ‘Losing Hope’ differs from ‘Hopeless’ in a way the story took shape from Holder’s point of view whose sister, Lesslie, committed suicide and who lost his dearest friend, Hope, in his childhood. And how he blamed himself for both of these incidents and what all he went through until the truth is revealed. The story came out as completely different when seen from Holder’s perspective.

But as a reader, you won’t find any disconnection if you haven’t read ‘Hopeless’ and are reading ‘Losing Hope’ first as these books are not like typical sequels which are to be read in a particular order. The books are independent of each other but still connected as they share the same storyline, and that’s the beauty of this series.
Also, I liked the way Colleen divided chapters into half and quarters without changing the chapter numbers, if they are the extended version of the same track. Also, it gives the reader a chapter break but at the same time maintains integrity.

Extracts which deeply moved my heart:

It was heart-wrenching when Holder found her sister lying dead on a bed:
‘You would think a person could only die once. You would think you would only find your sister’s lifeless body once. Once is far more than accurate. It happens repeatedly. Every time I take a breath or speak, I experience her death all over again. I don’t sit here and wonder if the fact that she’s dead will ever sink in. I sit here and wonder when I’ll stop having to watch her die.’

When Sky recalled everything about her past and remembered she was Hope, it’s at that moment Holder expressed his love for Hope and said what melted my heart to the core:
‘I’ve loved you for so long but I just couldn’t tell you. It didn’t feel right letting you love me back when I was keeping so much from you.’

Letter which Lesslie wrote for Holder before committing suicide would move you; few lines from that letter:
‘I’ve lost the ability to care anymore, so it’s hard to empathize with what you’ll experience after I’m gone. I don’t remember what it’s like to care enough about life that the thought of death could destroy me. I’m tired of losing hope.’

Lines I liked the most:

‘Vague is the same thing as dishonesty.’
‘She is the only thing in the world that can help me breathe again.’
‘The only thing that matters to me with you are the forevers.’

Rating: 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment